By Donald B. Redford
We're tremendously indebted to Dr. Redford for this thorough piece of labor. It illustrates the necessity for monographs that can assemble jointly the accrued result of sustained learn with extra amplitude than is feasible in an editorial and extra element than is feasible in a remark. there are lots of different special chunks of culture within the OT, rather within the Pentateuch, which deserve such remedy. Redford's paintings features a complete evaluate of previous paintings, a clean and painstaking exam of a number of salient concerns, and a few confident conclusions.
The specified difficulties awarded via the Joseph tale warrant exam in detachment from the remainder of the Pentateuch. As Redford's paintings indicates, too many matters were prejudged simply because effects (or hypotheses) derived from surrounding fabrics were authorised to steer, if to not dictate, the end result of investigating Genesis 37-50. A parade instance is using the divine names, and different contrastive vocabulary-pairs, as hallmarks of the resource records J and E. As Redford indicates, Yahweh is specific to ch. 39. moreover, different pairs, like Israel/Jacob, whereas no longer correlating with this primary clue, do need to some degree a concomitant distribution with the Judah/Reuben motifs.
Read or Download A Study of the Biblical Story of Joseph (Genesis 37-50) PDF
Similar criticism & interpretation books
During this quantity, William Larkin offers scholars with a competent advisor during the intricacies of the Greek textual content of Ephesians, introducing them to consensus perspectives on concerns of syntax, semantics, and textual feedback. moreover, the annotations comprise references to present debates when it comes to the language of Ephesians.
". .. no longer in Heaven is effective, not just to expert Bible students yet to all who love the e-book of books. If there are seventy faces to the Torah, because the midrash claims, this publication illuminates numerous extra. "? -- Conservative Judaism"A stimulating assortment.
What has hermeneutics to do with ecology? What texts, if any, spring to mind when you think about what the scriptures may say approximately environmental ethics? to aid readers imagine significantly and obviously concerning the Bible s relation to trendy environmental matters, this quantity expands the horizons of biblical interpretation to introduce ecological hermeneutics, relocating past an easy dialogue approximately Earth and its components as themes to a analyzing of the textual content from the viewpoint of Earth.
During this choice of essays, greater than 30 best students from Europe, North the US and Israel learn the composition and reception of Daniel in 8 sections: assessment of scholarship and context; close to japanese milieu; interpretation of particular passages; social atmosphere; literary context, together with Qumran; reception in Judaism and Christianity; textual heritage; and theology of Daniel.
- International Review of Biblical Studies 2003-2004: Internationale Zeitschriftenschau fur Bibelwissenschaft und Grenzgebiete Revue Internationale des Etudes ... (International Review of Biblical Studies)
- The Concept of Time in the Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls (Studies on the Texts of the Desert of Judah)
- The Gospel of Atheism and Freethought—According to Sherlock
- No Ordinary Angel: Celestial Spirits and Christian Claims about Jesus
- Grammaire de l'hébreu biblique
- Sex in the Bible: A New Consideration
Additional info for A Study of the Biblical Story of Joseph (Genesis 37-50)
2 The second sounds very like the promises to the patriarchs,3 especially the promise to Isaac given also at Beersheba, and also in the night. 4 But there is one important difference: except for Gen. 15: 13-16, the earlier promises in Genesis know nothing of the descent to Egypt and the Exodus. The patriarch and his descendants are to possess the land they now reside in. In fact, in one of the promises to Isaac 5 the patriarch is enjoined not to go down to Egypt on the very grounds that he and his descendants are going to be given Palestine as an inheritance.
230. 3 Cf. the identical wording hakker nii' in 37: 32 and 38: 25. On yNKR "to admit as evidence," see A. D. Tushingham, JNES 12 (1953), 153 n. 28. 4 Cf. Fritsch, Interpretation (Jan. 1955),23. 5 See most recently, H. M. Dion, CBQ 29 (1967), 198 ff. 6 Cf. ). 1 2 THE THEOPHANY AND GENEALOGY 19 leave of the Joseph Story, the denouement of which has been reached in chapter 45. The tenor of the verses has suddenly reverted to the coarser style of the Patriarchal tales: 1 we encounter night visions, have our intellects taxed by a theophany (after ten chapters without one), are reminded of the Abrahamic covenant and promise (likewise unmentioned in the Joseph Story), and hear a form of divine address which recalls god's speeches to Abraham.
Suggested purpose: to clarify the brothers' movements. They were not yet in the house, and in point of protocol their entry could not precede that of the master of the house. 22. 45: 2, wqyyifma( be! " The latter referred to those who minutes before had been waiting upon Joseph. The glossator, in anticipation of vs. 16-and with a misinterpretation of it-construes "the Egyptians" as a reference to Pharaoh's court. 23. " 24. " Since this is what the brothers had originally come for, they must take some back with them.
A Study of the Biblical Story of Joseph (Genesis 37-50) by Donald B. Redford